Series Editor and Professor Emeritus
North Carolina State University
The New Measure Poetry Prize
Parlor Press's poetry series, Free Verse Editions, is pleased to announce the ninth annual New Measure Poetry Prize, which will carry a cash award of $1,000 and publication of an original, unpublished manuscript of poems. Up to three other manuscripts may be accepted for publication by Free Verse Editions editors. Submit a manuscript of at least 54 pages with a $28 entry fee between March 1 and June 1, 2023. The judge for this year's competition is Carl Phillips. Read about Mr. Phillips at the Poetry Foundation.
Click on this Submit button to visit the New Measure Poetry Prize submission interface at Submittable on or after March 1 and no later than June 1:
The New Measure Poetry Prize Winners
2021: Aby Kaupang, & there’s still you thrill hour of the world to love and Joy Manesiotis, A Short History of Anger [selected by Brenda Hillman]
2020: Martha Ronk, Ariadne, A Series [selected by Jon Thompson]
2019: Parallel Resting Places by Laura Wetherington [selected by Peter Gizzi]
2018: Empire by Tracy Zeman [selected by Jon Thompson]
2017: Not into the Blossoms and Not into the Air by Elizabeth Jacobson [selected by Marianne Boruch]
2016: The Miraculous Courageous by Josh Booton [selected by Jon Thompson]
2015: This History That Just Happened by Hannah Craig [selected by Yusef Komunyakaa]
2014: Spool by Matthew Cooperman [selected by Jon Thompson]
2013: No Shape Bends the River So Long by Monica Berlin and Beth Marzoni [Selected by Carolyn Forché]
2012: Dismantling the Angel by Eric Pankey [selected by Jon Thompson]
2011: The Canticle of the Night Path by Jennifer Atkinson [selected by Susan Stewart]
2010: Country Album by James Capozzi [selected by Jon Thompson]
2009: 13 Ways of Happily by Emily Carr [selected by Cole Swensen]
Learn about These and Previous FVE Titles on the Yearly Press Release
Press Release 2022 (blog)
Press Release 2021 (blog)
Press Release 2020 (blog)
Press Release 2019 (PDF)
Press Release 2018 (PDF)
Press Release 2017 (PDF)
Press Release 2016 (PDF)
Press Release 2015 (PDF)
Press Release 2014 (PDF)
Press Release 2013 (PDF)
Press Release 2012 (PDF)
Press Release 2011 (PDF)
Other manuscripts not selected for the New Measure Poetry Prize may still be eligible for publication by Free Verse Editions. Friends and former students of the judge are not eligible for the prize but may submit for publication to Free Verse Editions (please indicate whether the submission is for the prize or for publication only). Each manuscript should be word processed, paginated, and contain a list of acknowledgments for published or forthcoming poems. The title page should include the name of the author, a postal address, telephone number, and email address. No feedback on submitted manuscripts can be offered.
Free Verse Editions
We are especially interested in collections that use language to dramatize a singular vision of experience, a mastery of craft, a deep knowledge of poetic tradition, and a willingness to take risks. As the series title suggests, the series is oriented toward free verse, but we will happily consider poetry written in traditional forms. Collections should have individual poems published in well-known journals. We will read collections that do not have a track record of publications, but it is unlikely that they will be accepted for publication.
Given the series' commitment to publishing a diverse array of styles and writers, Parlor Press will not make a practice of regularly publishing second books by Free Verse Editions authors.
- Entries must be submitted electronically via Submittable: Click on this Submit button to visit the New Measure Poetry Prize submission interface at Submittable on or after March 1 and no later than June 1:
The submission form will ask for contact information and allows for submission notes.
- Manuscripts should be between 54 and 150 pages and professionally presented.
- Manuscripts should be original, unpublished works. Original translations may also be considered but rights must be secured by the translator and a subvention may be required.
- The reading fee is $28.00 and will be collected at the time of submission.
- The editor of Free Verse Editions reserves the right to accept for publication as many as four manuscripts or none if he deems the quality of the submissions insufficient. The editor also reserves the right to solicit manuscripts for the series. Needless to say, not all the manuscripts accepted in a given year will be solicited. Free Verse Editions is committed to publishing new voices, as well as being open to more established ones.
- Manuscripts accepted for publication can be revised before publication.
Submission period: March 1- June 1, annually.
Note: Please do not call, write, or email the editor, or Parlor Press, to inquire about your manuscript during the reading period.
Parlor Press is an independent publisher of scholarly and trade titles in print and multimedia formats, including PDF, ePub, and Kindle. For submission information, see our Submissions page, write to Parlor Press, 3015 Brackenberry Drive, Anderson SC 29621, or e-mail David Blakesley <email@example.com>. 765.409.2649.